With vaccination rates on the rise and everyone on the country itching to return to something close to “normal”, Pinterest says many are turning to the internet to help plan their upcoming adventures, vacations, and more.
In particular, the social network says Pinterest searches by Gen Z users have shot up more than 95% year-over-year, with much of this being attributed to a rise in searches for life after Covid.
The data from the company’s Q1 search trends report reveals a lot about how people see their lives as we get back out in the world and try to make up for the lost time. Find out more below:
Vacation Searches (Up 75%)
It’s not unusual for many to start planning their spring break trips and summer vacations once Christmas is in the past. What is unusual is to the rates for these searches to shoot up three times faster than average from January 2021 to March 2021.
Even more, the searches show that users intend to make these trips something special.
Pinterest says it saw significant leaps in all of these search terms:
- Searches for “dream vacation destinations”: Up 13x
- Searches for “luxury vacation”: Up 6x
- Searches for “vacation fashion”: Up 3x
- Searches for “travel tattoos”: Up 45%
Eye-Popping Fashion (Up 85%)
Overall, people are tired of wearing sweats, tank tops, and hoodies every day as they work from home. Users have shown a distinct desire to dress their best as we start to get out of the house more, with searches containing the word “outfit” at an all-time high.
Compared to Q1 of 2020, the site has seen a 26% increase in searches containing the word “outfit”. Even more, searches with that word shot up 85% in April compared to last year.
Notably, Gen Z seems ready to really do it up, with search terms for bold patterns, retro styles, dramatic accessories, and daring makeup all showing increased attention this year:
- Searches for “outfit”: Up 26%
- Searches for “Y2K outfit ideas”: Up 230%
- Searches for “60s and 70s fashion”: Up 133x
- Searches for “zebra pants”: Up 14x
- Searches for “plaid pleated skirt”: Up 12x
- Searches for “clay rings”: Up 303x
- Searches for “hippie jewelry”: Up 16x
- Searches for “nose chain piercing”: Up 8x
- Searches for “makeup makeover”: Up 100x
- Searches for “alt makeup”: Up 60x
- Searches for “puppy eyeliner”: Up 30x
Socializing and Parties (Up 64%)
Of course, you need somewhere to wear all those stylish trends, right?
It should shock absolutely no one to see that users – especially those among Gen Z – are looking to party as larger gatherings become allowed.
From November 2020 to March 2021, searches containing the keyword “party” have risen 64%. Year-over-year, the number of searches has doubled.
Interestingly, the interest in parties range from extravagant affairs to tasteful small gatherings with search rates for all these terms showing heightened interest recently:
- Searches for “party life”: Up 3x
- Searches for “Euphoria party ideas”: Up 43x
- Searches for “backyard dinner party”: Up 3x
- Searches for “party food buffet”: Up 10x
- Searches for “dinner date outfits”: Up 30x
- Searches for “hotel room party”: Up 8x
- Searches for “group tattoo ideas”: Up 13x
Home Renovations (Up 28%)
While we may all be a little tired of spending too much time at home, home renovation interest appears to be at an all-time high on Pinterest.
Similar to vacation searches at this time of the year, the platform says it typically sees spikes in home repair and renovation searches during this season. What the platform has seen this year, though, still far outpaces what they’ve observed in the past.
Compared to Q1 2020, searches for home renovations were 28% higher on Pinterest, and 65% higher than Q1 2019.
Specifically, the company says it saw spikes in searches for these search terms:
- Searches for “home renovation ideas”: Up 5x
- Searches for “grand millennial decor”: Up 3x
- Searches for “indie room”: Up 132x
- Searches for “sage green aesthetic”: Up 32x
- Searches for “eclectic home”: Up 9x
For more, be sure to check out the full report from Pinterest here.